Utah, University of
Utah, University of, at Salt Lake City coeducational state supported opened 1850, chartered 1851 as Univ. of Deseret, closed 1851–67. It was empowered to give degrees in 1884 and renamed in 1892. The university's diverse research programs include studies of the American West, the Middle East, biomedical engineering, isotope geology, and supercomputing. The Huntsman Cancer Institute and the state engineering experiment station are there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-