Wyoming, University of
Wyoming, University of, at Laramie coeducational land-grant and state supported chartered 1886, opened 1887. The Rocky Mt. Herbarium, which has an outstanding collection of plants of the central Rocky Mts., the Laramie Natural Resources Research Institute (which conducts research on oil and gas geology in the region), and a branch of the U.S Bureau of Mines are there. The university also arranges for students to study at Jackson Hole Biological Research Station, near Moran.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-