What's that Animal Number?
Updated February 21, 2017 | Factmonster Staff
- Mayflies have a life span of about two hours.
- A slug has four noses.
- Despite its long neck, the giraffe has only seven neck bones ? the same number as a person.
- The mouse deer of Asia, a real deer, is only nine inches high.
- A lobster has 10 legs.
- The eye of the giant squid, the largest of any animal, is 15 inches across.
- The largest animal brain belongs to the sperm whale. It can weigh 20 pounds.
- Most starfish have 5 arms, but the basket starfish may have 50 arms or more!arttoday.com
- A jellyfish is 95 percent water.
- A male peacock has 200 long feathers that stand up from his back.
- A millipede (which means ?thousand-footed? ) may have as few as eight legs or as many as several hundred.
- An elephant eats 250 pounds of plants and drinks 50 gallons of water a day.
- A seahorse can lay 400 eggs at a time.
- The leatherback turtle weighs up to 1,900 pounds.
- A hummingbird may visit 2,000 flowers a day for nectar.
- A tapeworm may grow up to 40 feet long with up to 3,000 segments.
- There are more than 12,000 species of ants in the world.
- There is a tiny insect, called a midge, that beats its wings 62,000 times a minute.
- One beehive can contain up to 80,000 bees at a time.
- There are 200 million insects for each person on earth.