A Little Goes a Long Way
Many American kids don’t think twice about paying $20 for a video game or a sweatshirt. But that $20 would go a very long way in third-world countries. Here’s a look at how far a few dollars can go in many developing nations.
- $1 covers the cost of a lifetime immunization against polio.
- $5 is the cost of a mosquito net, which helps to prevent malaria.
- $10 can buy a grove of trees to prevent soil erosion in Zambia. OR a month’s supply of vitamins for 48 children
- $20 buys a backpack full of school supplies for a student in Sri Lanka.
- $40 pays for an entire year of education for a child in Kenya.
- $50 is enough to buy a goat, which is a source of milk and cheese, for a family in Mauritania.