- The four major events in men's professional golf are the Masters, the British Open, the U.S. Open, and the PGA Championship. The four events form what is known as the Grand Slam. No player has ever won all four events in the same year. in 2000–01, Tiger Woods won four consecutive Grand Slam events, but three were in 2000 and one was in 2001.
- The four major events in women's professional golf are the LPGA championship, the U.S. Open, the Women's British Open, and the Nabisco Championship. The four events form what is known as the Women's Grand Slam. No player has ever won all four events in the same year.
- The Ryder Cup is the most prestigious team golf event in the world. It is played every two years between a team of American golfers and a team of European golfers.
- Tiger Woods won the 1997 Masters Tournament when he was just 21 years old with a record score of 270. He was the first person of color to win the tournament since it was first played in 1934. Jack Nicklaus has won the tournament six times—more than anyone else in history. Nicklaus, nicknamed the Golden Bear, is recognized as one of the best golfers ever and was inducted into the Golf Hall of Fame in 1974.
- Kathy Whitworth won 88 professional tournaments during her career—more than any other golfer—male or female—in history. Click here for a look at the men, women and senior leaders in tournaments won.