- 1. maltreatment, ill-treatment, ill-usage, abuse, mistreatment
- usage: cruel or inhumane treatment; "the child showed signs of physical abuse"
- 2. abuse, insult, revilement, contumely, vilification, disrespect, discourtesy
- usage: a rude expression intended to offend or hurt; "when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"; "they yelled insults at the visiting team"
- 3. misuse, abuse, use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise
- usage: improper or excessive use; "alcohol abuse"; "the abuse of public funds"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mistreat, maltreat, abuse, ill-use, step, ill-treat, treat, handle, do by
- usage: treat badly; "This boss abuses his workers"; "She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
- 2. pervert, misuse, abuse, use, expend
- usage: change the inherent purpose or function of something; "Don't abuse the system"; "The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers"
- 3. abuse, clapperclaw, blackguard, shout, attack, round, assail, lash out, snipe, assault
- usage: use foul or abusive language towards; "The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"; "The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
- 4. abuse, use, expend
- usage: use wrongly or improperly or excessively; "Her husband often abuses alcohol"; "while she was pregnant, she abused drugs"
All rights reserved.
See also: abuse (Dictionary)