Synonyms of action
- 1. action, act, deed, human action, human activity
- usage: something done (usually as opposed to something said); "there were stories of murders and other unnatural actions"
- 2. action, activity, activeness, state
- usage: the state of being active; "his sphere of activity"; "he is out of action"
- 3. military action, action, group action
- usage: a military engagement; "he saw action in Korea"
- 4. natural process, natural action, action, activity, process, physical process
- usage: a process existing in or produced by nature (rather than by the intent of human beings); "the action of natural forces"; "volcanic activity"
- 5. action, plot
- usage: the series of events that form a plot; "his novels always have a lot of action"
- 6. action, drive
- usage: the trait of being active and energetic and forceful; "a man of action"
- 7. action, action mechanism, mechanism
- usage: the operating part that transmits power to a mechanism; "the piano had a very stiff action"
- 8. legal action, action, action at law, proceeding, legal proceeding, proceedings
- usage: a judicial proceeding brought by one party against another; one party prosecutes another for a wrong done or for protection of a right or for prevention of a wrong
- 9. action, group action
- usage: an act by a government body or supranational organization; "recent federal action undermined the segregationist position"; "the United Nations must have the power to propose and organize action without being hobbled by irrelevant issues"; "the Union action of emancipating Southern slaves"
- 10. action, work
- usage: the most important or interesting work or activity in a specific area or field; "the action is no longer in technology stocks but in municipal bonds"; "gawkers always try to get as close to the action as possible"
- 1. action, sue, litigate, process, challenge
- usage: institute legal proceedings against; file a suit against; "He was warned that the district attorney would process him"; "She actioned the company for discrimination"
- 2. carry through, accomplish, execute, carry out, action, fulfill, fulfil, complete, finish, effect, effectuate, set up
- usage: put in effect; "carry out a task"; "execute the decision of the people"; "He actioned the operation"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of action (Dictionary)