Synonyms of adopted
- 1. adopt, follow, espouse, choose, take, select, pick out
- usage: choose and follow; as of theories, ideas, policies, strategies or plans; "She followed the feminist movement"; "The candidate espouses Republican ideals"
- 2. adopt, borrow, take over, take up, accept, take, have
- usage: take up and practice as one's own
- 3. assume, adopt, take on, take over, take office
- usage: take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities; "When will the new President assume office?"
- 4. assume, acquire, adopt, take on, take, change
- usage: take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone"; "The story took a new turn"; "he adopted an air of superiority"; "She assumed strange manners"; "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables"
- 5. adopt, take in, take
- usage: take into one's family; "They adopted two children from Nicaragua"
- 6. dramatize, dramatise, adopt, write, compose, pen, indite
- usage: put into dramatic form; "adopt a book for a screenplay"
- 7. espouse, embrace, adopt, sweep up, accept
- usage: take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own; "She embraced Catholicism"; "They adopted the Jewish faith"
- 1. adopted (vs. native), adoptive
- usage: acquired as your own by free choice; "my adopted state"; "an adoptive country"
All rights reserved.