Synonyms of afraid
- 1. afraid(predicate) (vs. unafraid), acrophobic, afeard(predicate), afeared(predicate), aghast(predicate), appalled, dismayed, shocked, agoraphobic, alarmed, algophobic, apprehensive, hangdog, claustrophobic, fearful, frightened, scared, horrified, horror-stricken, horror-struck, hunted, hydrophobic, aquaphobic, mysophobic, panicky, panicked, panic-stricken, panic-struck, terrified, frightened, numb, shitless, terror-stricken, terror-struck, triskaidekaphobic, unnerved, white-lipped, xenophobic, cowardly#1, fearful, timid
- usage: filled with fear or apprehension; "afraid even to turn his head"; "suddenly looked afraid"; "afraid for his life"; "afraid of snakes"; "afraid to ask questions"
- 2. afraid, concerned (vs. unconcerned)
- usage: filled with regret or concern; used often to soften an unpleasant statement; "I'm afraid I won't be able to come"; "he was afraid he would have to let her go"; "I'm afraid you're wrong"
- 3. afraid, concerned (vs. unconcerned)
- usage: feeling worry or concern or insecurity; "She was afraid that I might be embarrassed"; "terribly afraid of offending someone"; "I am afraid we have witnessed only the first phase of the conflict"
- 4. afraid, disinclined (vs. inclined)
- usage: having feelings of aversion or unwillingness; "afraid of hard work"; "afraid to show emotion"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of afraid (Dictionary)