Synonyms of ahead
- 1. ahead(predicate), in the lead, leading, up (vs. down)
- usage: having the leading position or higher score in a contest; "he is ahead by a pawn"; "the leading team in the pennant race"
- 1. ahead, in front, before
- usage: at or in the front; "I see the lights of a town ahead"; "the road ahead is foggy"; "staring straight ahead"; "we couldn't see over the heads of the people in front"; "with the cross of Jesus marching on before"
- 2. ahead, forward
- usage: toward the future; forward in time; "I like to look ahead in imagination to what the future may bring"; "I look forward to seeing you"
- 3. ahead, onward, onwards, forward, forwards, forrader
- usage: in a forward direction; "go ahead"; "the train moved ahead slowly"; "the boat lurched ahead"; "moved onward into the forest"; "they went slowly forward in the mud"
- 4. ahead, in advance, beforehand
- usage: ahead of time; in anticipation; "when you pay ahead (or in advance) you receive a discount"; "We like to plan ahead"; "should have made reservations beforehand"
- 5. ahead
- usage: to a more advanced or advantageous position; "a young man sure to get ahead"; "pushing talented students ahead"
- 6. ahead
- usage: to a different or a more advanced time (meaning advanced either toward the present or toward the future); "moved the appointment ahead from Tuesday to Monday"; "pushed the deadline ahead from Tuesday to Wednesday"
- 7. ahead, out front, in the lead
- usage: leading or ahead in a competition; "the horse was three lengths ahead going into the home stretch"; "ahead by two pawns"; "our candidate is in the lead in the polls"; "way out front in the race"; "the advertising campaign put them out front in sales"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of ahead (Dictionary)