1. purpose, intent, intention, aim, design, goal, end
usage: an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs"
2. aim, object, objective, target, goal, end
usage: the goal intended to be attained (and which is believed to be attainable); "the sole object of her trip was to see her children"
3. aim, steering, guidance, direction
usage: the action of directing something at an object; "he took aim and fired"
4. bearing, heading, aim, direction, way
usage: the direction or path along which something moves or along which it lies
1. aim, take, train, take aim, direct, position
usage: point or cause to go (blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment) towards; "Please don't aim at your little brother!"; "He trained his gun on the burglar"; "Don't train your camera on the women"; "Take a swipe at one's opponent"
usage: specifically design a product, event, or activity for a certain public
5. target, aim, place, direct, point, aim, take, train, take aim, direct
usage: intend (something) to move towards a certain goal; "He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face"; "criticism directed at her superior"; "direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
6. aim, mean, intend
usage: direct (a remark) toward an intended goal; "She wanted to aim a pun"
7. draw a bead on, aspire, aim, shoot for, plan, be after