Synonyms of air
- 1. air, gas
- usage: a mixture of gases (especially oxygen) required for breathing; the stuff that the wind consists of; "air pollution"; "a smell of chemicals in the air"; "open a window and let in some air"; "I need some fresh air"
- 2. air, region, part
- usage: the region above the ground; "her hand stopped in mid air"; "he threw the ball into the air"
- 3. air, aura, atmosphere, quality
- usage: a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing; "an air of mystery"; "the house had a neglected air"; "an atmosphere of defeat pervaded the candidate's headquarters"; "the place had an aura of romance"
- 4. breeze, zephyr, gentle wind, air, wind, air current, current of air
- usage: a slight wind (usually refreshing); "the breeze was cooled by the lake"; "as he waited he could feel the air on his neck"
- 5. atmosphere, air, region, part
- usage: the mass of air surrounding the Earth; "there was great heat as the comet entered the atmosphere"; "it was exposed to the air"
- 6. air, element
- usage: once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
- 7. tune, melody, air, strain, melodic line, line, melodic phrase, music
- usage: a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence; "she was humming an air from Beethoven"
- 8. air, airwave, medium
- usage: medium for radio and television broadcasting; "the program was on the air from 9 til midnight"; "the president used the airwaves to take his message to the people"
- 9. air travel, aviation, air, travel, traveling, travelling
- usage: travel via aircraft; "air travel involves too much waiting in airports"; "if you've time to spare go by air"
- 1. air out, air, aerate, expose
- usage: expose to fresh air; "aerate your old sneakers"
- 2. air
- usage: be broadcast; "This show will air Saturdays at 2 P.M."
- 3. air, send, broadcast, beam, transmit, publicize, publicise, air, bare
- usage: broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television; "We cannot air this X-rated song"
- 4. publicize, publicise, air, bare, tell
- usage: make public; "She aired her opinions on welfare"
- 5. air, dry, dry out
- usage: expose to warm or heated air, so as to dry; "Air linen"
- 6. vent, ventilate, air out, air, refresh, freshen
- usage: expose to cool or cold air so as to cool or freshen; "air the old winter clothes"; "air out the smoke-filled rooms"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of air (Dictionary)