- 1. alarm, dismay, consternation, fear, fearfulness, fright
- usage: fear resulting from the awareness of danger
- 2. alarm, warning device, alarm system, device
- usage: a device that signals the occurrence of some undesirable event
- 3. alarm, alert, warning signal, alarum, signal, signaling, sign
- usage: an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
- 4. alarm clock, alarm, clock
- usage: a clock that wakes a sleeper at some preset time
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. dismay, alarm, appal, appall, horrify, frighten, fright, scare, affright
- usage: fill with apprehension or alarm; cause to be unpleasantly surprised; "I was horrified at the thought of being late for my interview"; "The news of the executions horrified us"
- 2. alarm, alert, warn
- usage: warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness; "The empty house alarmed him"; "We alerted the new neighbors to the high rate of burglaries"
All rights reserved.
See also: alarm (Dictionary)