- 1. dismay, alarm, appal, appall, horrify, frighten, fright, scare, affright
- usage: fill with apprehension or alarm; cause to be unpleasantly surprised; "I was horrified at the thought of being late for my interview"; "The news of the executions horrified us"
- 2. alarm, alert, warn
- usage: warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness; "The empty house alarmed him"; "We alerted the new neighbors to the high rate of burglaries"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. alarming (vs. unalarming), appalling, dismaying, atrocious, frightful, horrifying, horrible, ugly, awful, dire, direful, dread(prenominal), dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible, baleful, forbidding, menacing, minacious, minatory, ominous, sinister, threatening, bloodcurdling, hair-raising, nightmarish, chilling, scarey, scary, shivery, shuddery, creepy, creepy-crawly, formidable, redoubtable, unnerving, ghastly, grim, grisly, gruesome, macabre, sick, hairy, petrifying, stupefying, terrific, terrifying
- usage: frightening because of an awareness of danger
All rights reserved.
See also: alarming (Dictionary)