Synonyms of allow
- 1. let, allow, permit
- usage: make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"
- 2. permit, allow, let, countenance, accept, consent, go for
- usage: consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- 3. allow, grant, give
- usage: let have; "grant permission"; "Mandela was allowed few visitors in prison"
- 4. allow, appropriate, earmark, set aside, reserve, assign, allot, portion
- usage: give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause; "I will earmark this money for your research"; "She sets aside time for meditation every day"
- 5. leave, allow for, allow, provide, yield, give, afford
- usage: make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain; "This leaves no room for improvement"; "The evidence allows only one conclusion"; "allow for mistakes"; "leave lots of time for the trip"; "This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
- 6. allow, take into account, calculate, estimate, reckon, count on, figure, forecast
- usage: allow or plan for a certain possibility; concede the truth or validity of something; "I allow for this possibility"; "The seamstress planned for 5% shrinkage after the first wash"
- 7. admit, allow
- usage: afford possibility; "This problem admits of no solution"; "This short story allows of several different interpretations"
- 8. give up, allow
- usage: allow the other (baseball) team to score; "give up a run"
- 9. allow, discount
- usage: grant as a discount or in exchange; "The camera store owner allowed me $50 on my old camera"
- 10. allow, permit, tolerate, permit, allow, let, countenance
- usage: allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting; "We don't allow dogs here"; "Children are not permitted beyond this point"; "We cannot tolerate smoking in the hospital"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of allow (Dictionary)