Synonyms of alternate
- 1. surrogate, alternate, replacement, stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in
- usage: someone who takes the place of another person
- 1. alternate, jump, change, alter, vary
- usage: go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions
- 2. alternate, exchange
- usage: exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions
- 3. understudy, alternate, memorize, memorise, con, learn
- usage: be an understudy or alternate for a role
- 4. interchange, tack, switch, alternate, flip, flip-flop, change by reversal, turn, reverse
- usage: reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
- 5. alternate, take turns, act, move
- usage: do something in turns; "We take turns on the night shift"
- 1. alternate(prenominal), cyclic (vs. noncyclic), cyclical
- usage: every second one of a series; "the cleaning lady comes on alternate Wednesdays"; "jam every other day"- the White Queen
- 2. alternate, alternative, substitute, secondary (vs. primary)
- usage: serving or used in place of another; "an alternative plan"
- 3. alternate(prenominal), alternating(prenominal), cyclic (vs. noncyclic), cyclical
- usage: occurring by turns; first one and then the other; "alternating feelings of love and hate"
- 4. alternate (vs. opposite)
- usage: of leaves and branches etc; first on one side and then on the other in two ranks along an axis; not paired; "stems with alternate leaves"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of alternate (Dictionary)