1. originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring up, grow, become
usage: come into existence; take on form or shape; "A new religious movement originated in that country"; "a love that sprang up from friendship"; "the idea for the book grew out of a short story"; "An interesting phenomenon uprose"
2. arise, come up, bob up, become
usage: originate or come into being; "a question arose"
3. arise, rise, uprise, get up, stand up, change posture
usage: rise to one's feet; "The audience got up and applauded"
4. arise, come up, happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
usage: result or issue; "A slight unpleasantness arose from this discussion"
5. rise, lift, arise, move up, go up, come up, uprise, travel, go, move, locomote
usage: move upward; "The fog lifted"; "The smoke arose from the forest fire"; "The mist uprose from the meadows"