- 1. arm, limb
- usage: a human limb; technically the part of the superior limb between the shoulder and the elbow but commonly used to refer to the whole superior limb
- 2. arm, branch, limb, projection
- usage: any projection that is thought to resemble a human arm; "the arm of the record player"; "an arm of the sea"; "a branch of the sewer"
- 3. weapon, arm, weapon system, instrument
- usage: any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting; "he was licensed to carry a weapon"
- 4. arm, armrest
- usage: the part of an armchair or sofa that supports the elbow and forearm of a seated person
- 5. branch, subdivision, arm, division
- usage: a division of some larger or more complex organization; "a branch of Congress"; "botany is a branch of biology"; "the Germanic branch of Indo-European languages"
- 6. sleeve, arm, cloth covering
- usage: the part of a garment that is attached at the armhole and that provides a cloth covering for the arm
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. arm, build up, fortify, gird
- usage: prepare oneself for a military confrontation; "The U.S. is girding for a conflict in the Middle East"; "troops are building up on the Iraqi border"
- 2. arm, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: supply with arms; "The U.S. armed the freedom fighters in Afghanistan"
All rights reserved.
See also: arm (Dictionary)