Synonyms of arrest
- 1. apprehension, arrest, catch, collar, pinch, taking into custody, capture, gaining control, seizure
- usage: the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal); "the policeman on the beat got credit for the collar"
- 2. arrest, check, halt, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage, inaction, inactivity, inactiveness
- usage: the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- 1. collar, nail, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop, seize, prehend, clutch
- usage: take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
- 2. check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back, defend
- usage: hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- 3. catch, arrest, get, attract, pull, pull in, draw, draw in
- usage: attract and fix; "His look caught her"; "She caught his eye"; "Catch the attention of the waiter"
- 4. halt, hold, arrest, stop
- usage: cause to stop; "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of arrest (Dictionary)