WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. claim, lay claim, arrogate, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: demand as being one's due or property; assert one's right or title to; "He claimed his suitcases at the airline counter"; "Mr. Smith claims special tax exemptions because he is a foreign resident"
- 2. arrogate, assign, claim, lay claim, arrogate
- usage: make undue claims to having
- 3. assume, usurp, seize, take over, arrogate, take
- usage: seize and take control without authority and possibly with force; take as one's right or possession; "He assumed to himself the right to fill all positions in the town"; "he usurped my rights"; "She seized control of the throne after her husband died"
All rights reserved.
See also: arrogate (Dictionary)