WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. ascend, go up, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: travel up, "We ascended the mountain"; "go up a ladder"; "The mountaineers slowly ascended the steep slope"
- 2. ascend, go back, date back, date from
- usage: go back in order of genealogical succession; "Inheritance may not ascend linearly"
- 3. ascend, accede, enter
- usage: become king or queen; "She ascended to the throne after the King's death"
- 4. ascend, climb up
- usage: appear to be moving upward, as by means of tendrils; "the vine climbed up the side of the house"
- 5. ascend, follow, travel along
- usage: go along towards (a river's) source; "The boat ascended the Delaware"
- 6. ascend, slope, incline, pitch
- usage: slope upwards; "The path ascended to the top of the hill"
- 7. rise, come up, uprise, ascend, rise, lift, arise, move up, go up, come up, uprise
- usage: come up, of celestial bodies; "The sun also rises"; "The sun uprising sees the dusk night fled..."; "Jupiter ascends"
- 8. ascend, move up, rise, change
- usage: move to a better position in life or to a better job; "She ascended from a life of poverty to one of great
All rights reserved.
See also: ascend (Dictionary)