WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. ask, inquire, enquire, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: inquire about; "I asked about their special today"; "He had to ask directions several times"
- 2. ask, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: make a request or demand for something to somebody; "She asked him for a loan"
- 3. ask, give voice, formulate, word, phrase, articulate
- usage: direct or put; seek an answer to; "ask a question"
- 4. ask, require, expect, demand
- usage: consider obligatory; request and expect; "We require our secretary to be on time"; "Aren't we asking too much of these children?"; "I expect my students to arrive in time for their lessons"
- 5. ask, address, turn to
- usage: address a question to and expect an answer from; "Ask your teacher about trigonometry"; "The children asked me about their dead grandmother"
- 6. necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand
- usage: require as useful, just, or proper; "It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
- 7. ask, demand
- usage: require or ask for as a price or condition; "He is asking $200 for the table"; "The kidnappers are asking a million dollars in return for the release of their hostage"
All rights reserved.
See also: ask (Dictionary)