WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. smother, asphyxiate, suffocate, kill
- usage: deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
- 2. suffocate, stifle, asphyxiate, choke, obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up
- usage: impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of; "The foul air was slowly suffocating the children"
- 3. suffocate, stifle, asphyxiate, die, decease, perish, go, exit, pass away, expire, pass, kick the bucket, cash in one's chips, buy the farm, conk, give-up the ghost, drop dead, pop off, choke, croak, snuff it
- usage: be asphyxiated; die from lack of oxygen; "The child suffocated under the pillow"
All rights reserved.
See also: asphyxiate (Dictionary)