- 1. attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try, activity
- usage: earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something; "made an effort to cover all the reading material"; "wished him luck in his endeavor"; "she gave it a good try"
- 2. attack, attempt, crime, offense, criminal offense, criminal offence, offence, law-breaking
- usage: the act of attacking; "attacks on women increased last year"; "they made an attempt on his life"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. try, seek, attempt, essay, assay, act, move
- usage: make an effort or attempt; "He tried to shake off his fears"; "The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"; "The police attempted to stop the thief"; "He sought to improve himself"; "She always seeks to do good in the world"
- 2. undertake, set about, attempt, initiate, pioneer
- usage: enter upon an activity or enterprise
All rights reserved.
See also: attempt (Dictionary)