WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. austere, severe, stark, stern, plain (vs. fancy)
- usage: severely simple; "a stark interior"
- 2. austere, stern, nonindulgent (vs. indulgent), strict
- usage: of a stern or strict bearing or demeanor; forbidding in aspect; "an austere expression"; "a stern face"
- 3. ascetic, ascetical, austere, spartan, abstemious (vs. gluttonous)
- usage: practicing great self-denial; "Be systematically ascetic...do...something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it"- William James; "a desert nomad's austere life"; "a spartan diet"; "a spartan existence"
All rights reserved.
See also: austere (Dictionary)