Synonyms of average
- 1. average, norm, statistic
- usage: a statistic describing the location of a distribution; "it set the norm for American homes"
- 2. average, ratio
- usage: (sports) the ratio of successful performances to opportunities
- 3. average, scale value
- usage: an intermediate scale value regarded as normal or usual; "he is about average in height"; "the snowfall this month is below average"
- 1. average, average out, total, number, add up, come, amount
- usage: amount to or come to an average, without loss or gain; "The number of hours I work per work averages out to 40"
- 2. average, achieve, accomplish, attain, reach
- usage: achieve or reach on average; "He averaged a C"
- 3. average, average out, calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure
- usage: compute the average of
- 1. average, mean(prenominal), normal (vs. abnormal)
- usage: approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value; "the average income in New England is below that of the nation"; "of average height for his age"; "the mean annual rainfall"
- 2. average, ordinary, common (vs. uncommon)
- usage: lacking special distinction, rank, or status; commonly encountered; "average people"; "the ordinary (or common) man in the street"
- 3. average, fair, mediocre, middling, ordinary (vs. extraordinary)
- usage: lacking exceptional quality or ability; "a novel of average merit"; "only a fair performance of the sonata"; "in fair health"; "the caliber of the students has gone from mediocre to above average"; "the performance was middling at best"
- 4. average, intermediate, medium, moderate (vs. immoderate)
- usage: around the middle of a scale of evaluation; "an orange of average size"; "intermediate capacity"; "medium bombers"
- 5. modal(prenominal), average, normal (vs. abnormal)
- usage: relating to or constituting the most frequent value in a distribution; "the modal age at which American novelists reach their peak is 30"
- 6. median(prenominal), average, normal (vs. abnormal)
- usage: relating to or constituting the middle value of an ordered set of values (or the average of the middle two in a set with an even number of values); "the median value of 17, 20, and 36 is 20"; "the median income for the year was $15,000"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of average (Dictionary)