Synonyms of away
- 1. away(predicate), absent (vs. present)
- usage: not present; having left; "he's away right now"; "you must not allow a stranger into the house when your mother is away"
- 2. away (vs. home)
- usage: used of an opponent's ground; "an away game"
- 3. away, outside, inaccurate (vs. accurate)
- usage: (of a baseball pitch) on the far side of home plate from the batter; "the pitch was away (or wide)"; "an outside pitch"
- 1. away, off, forth
- usage: from a particular thing or place or position (`forth' is obsolete); "ran away from the lion"; "wanted to get away from there"; "sent the children away to boarding school"; "the teacher waved the children away from the dead animal"; "went off to school"; "they drove off"; "go forth and preach"
- 2. away, out
- usage: from one's possession; "he gave out money to the poor"; "gave away the tickets"
- 3. aside, away
- usage: out of the way (especially away from one's thoughts); "brush the objections aside"; "pushed all doubts away"
- 4. away
- usage: out of existence; "the music faded away"; "tried to explain away the affair of the letter"- H.E.Scudder; "idled the hours away"; "her fingernails were worn away"
- 5. off, away
- usage: at a distance in space or time; "the boat was 5 miles off (or away)"; "the party is still 2 weeks off (or away)"; "away back in the 18th century"
- 6. away
- usage: indicating continuing action; continuously or steadily; "he worked away at the project for more than a year"; "the child kept hammering away as if his life depended on it"
- 7. away
- usage: so as to be removed or gotten rid of; "cleared the mess away"; "the rotted wood had to be cut away"
- 8. away
- usage: freely or at will; "fire away!"
- 9. away
- usage: in or into a proper place (especially for storage or safekeeping); "put the toys away"; "her jewels are locked away in a safe"; "filed the letter away"
- 10. away, aside
- usage: in a different direction; "turn aside"; "turn away one's face"; "glanced away"
- 11. aside, by, away
- usage: in reserve; not for immediate use; "started setting aside money to buy a car"; "put something by for her old age"; "has a nest egg tucked away for a rainy day"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of away (Dictionary)