Synonyms of back up
- 1. backup, accretion, accumulation
- usage: an accumulation caused by clogging or a stoppage; "a traffic backup on the main street"; "he discovered a backup in the toilet"
- 2. stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in, peer, equal, match, compeer
- usage: someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer fill-ins"
- 3. accompaniment, musical accompaniment, backup, support, part, voice
- usage: a musical part (vocal or instrumental) that supports or provides background for other musical parts
- 4. backup, computer backup, duplicate, duplication
- usage: (computer science) a copy of a file or directory on a separate storage device; "he made a backup in case the original was accidentally damaged or erased"
- 5. backing, backup, championship, patronage, blessing, approval, approving
- usage: the act of providing approval and support; "his vigorous backing of the conservatives got him in trouble with progressives"
- 1. support, back up
- usage: give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to; "She supported him during the illness"; "Her children always backed her up"
- 2. back up, back off, back down, withdraw, retreat, pull away, draw back, recede, pull back, retire, move back
- usage: move backwards from a certain position; "The bully had to back down"
- 3. back, back up, confirm, corroborate, sustain, substantiate, support, affirm
- usage: establish as valid or genuine; "Can you back up your claims?"
- 4. back up, copy, re-create
- usage: make a copy of (a computer file) especially for storage in another place as a security copy; "You'd better back up these files!"
- 5. clog, choke off, clog up, back up, congest, choke, foul, obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up
- usage: become or cause to become obstructed; "The leaves clog our drains in the Fall"; "The water pipe is backed up"
All rights reserved.