Synonyms of backing
- 1. backing, backup, championship, patronage, blessing, approval, approving
- usage: the act of providing approval and support; "his vigorous backing of the conservatives got him in trouble with progressives"
- 2. backing, mount, layer, bed, strengthener, reinforcement
- usage: something forming a back that is added for strengthening
- 3. support, financial support, funding, backing, financial backing, resource
- usage: financial resources provided to make some project possible; "the foundation provided support for the experiment"
- 1. back, endorse, indorse, plump for, plunk for, support, approve, O.K., okay, sanction
- usage: be behind; approve of; "He plumped for the Labor Party"; "I backed Kennedy in 1960"
- 2. back, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: travel backward; "back into the driveway"; "The car backed up and hit the tree"
- 3. second, back, endorse, indorse, support, back up
- usage: give support or one's approval to; "I'll second that motion"; "I can't back this plan"; "endorse a new project"
- 4. back
- usage: cause to travel backward; "back the car into the parking spot"
- 5. back, finance
- usage: support financial backing for; "back this enterprise"
- 6. back, lie
- usage: be in back of; "My garage backs their yard"
- 7. bet on, back, gage, stake, game, punt, bet, wager, play
- usage: place a bet on; "Which horse are you backing?"; "I'm betting on the new horse"
- 8. back, switch, change over, shift
- usage: shift to a counterclockwise direction; "the wind backed"
- 9. back, back up, confirm, corroborate, sustain, substantiate, support, affirm
- usage: establish as valid or genuine; "Can you back up your claims?"
- 10. back, strengthen
- usage: strengthen by providing with a back or backing
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of backing (Dictionary)