Synonyms of backward
- 1. backward (vs. forward), backswept, sweptback, cacuminal, retroflex, converse, reversed, transposed, inverse, reverse, rearward, reverse, receding(prenominal), reflexive, self-referent, regardant(postnominal), retracted, retral, retrograde, retroflex, retroflexed, returning(prenominal), reversive, regressive, retrospective
- usage: directed or facing toward the back or rear; "a backward view"
- 2. backward (vs. forward), bashful, blate, timid
- usage: (used of temperament or behavior) marked by a retiring nature; "a backward lover"
- 3. backward, half-witted, slow-witted, feebleminded, retarded (vs. precocious)
- usage: retarded in intellectual development
- 4. backward, undynamic (vs. dynamic), adynamic
- usage: having made less than normal progress; "an economically backward country"
- 1. back, backward, backwards, rearward, rearwards
- usage: at or to or toward the back or rear; "he moved back"; "tripped when he stepped backward"; "she looked rearward out the window of the car"
- 2. backward, backwards
- usage: in a manner or order or direction the reverse of normal; "it's easy to get the `i' and the `e' backward in words like `seize' and `siege'"; "the child put her jersey on backward"
- 3. back, backward
- usage: in or to or toward a past time; "set the clocks back an hour"; "never look back"; "lovers of the past looking fondly backward"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of backward (Dictionary)