WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. basil, herb, herbaceous plant
- usage: any of several Old World tropical aromatic annual or perennial herbs of the genus Ocimum
- 2. Basil, St. Basil, Basil of Caesarea, Basil the Great, St. Basil the Great
- usage: (Roman Catholic Church) the bishop of Caesarea who defended the Roman Catholic Church against the heresies of the 4th century; a saint and Doctor of the Church (329-379)
- 3. basil, sweet basil, herb
- usage: leaves of the common basil; used fresh or dried
All rights reserved.
See also: basil (Dictionary)