WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. footing, basis, ground, foundation
- usage: a relation that provides the foundation for something; "they were on a friendly footing"; "he worked on an interim basis"
- 2. basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone, assumption, supposition, supposal
- usage: the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained; "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture"
- 3. basis, base, part, portion, component part, component, constituent
- usage: the most important or necessary part of something; "the basis of this drink is orange juice"
All rights reserved.
See also: basis (Dictionary)