WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. bate, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: moderate or restrain; lessen the force of; "He bated his breath when talking about this affair"; "capable of bating his enthusiasm"
- 2. bate, beat, flap
- usage: flap the wings wildly or frantically; used of falcons
- 3. bate, drench, douse, dowse, soak, sop, souse
- usage: soak in a special solution to soften and remove chemicals used in previous treatments; "bate hides and skins"
All rights reserved.
See also: bate (Dictionary)