- 1. battle, conflict, fight, engagement, military action, action
- usage: a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war; "Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
- 2. struggle, battle, attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try
- usage: an energetic attempt to achieve something; "getting through the crowd was a real struggle"; "he fought a battle for recognition"
- 3. conflict, struggle, battle, group action
- usage: an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals); "the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph"--Thomas Paine; "police tried to control the battle between the pro- and anti-abortion mobs"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. battle, combat, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: battle or contend against in or as if in a battle; "The Kurds are combating Iraqi troops in Northern Iraq"; "We must combat the prejudices against other races"; "they battled over the budget"
All rights reserved.
See also: battle (Dictionary)