- 1. radio beam, beam, signal, signaling, sign
- usage: a signal transmitted along a narrow path; guides airplane pilots in darkness or bad weather
- 2. beam, structural member, piece
- usage: long thick piece of wood or metal or concrete, etc., used in construction
- 3. beam, ray, electron beam, electromagnetic radiation, electromagnetic wave, nonparticulate radiation
- usage: a group of nearly parallel lines of electromagnetic radiation
- 4. beam, beam of light, light beam, ray, ray of light, shaft, shaft of light, irradiation, light, visible light, visible radiation
- usage: a column of light (as from a beacon)
- 5. beam, width, breadth
- usage: (nautical) breadth amidships
- 6. beam, side
- usage: the broad side of a ship; "they sighted land on the port beam"
- 7. balance beam, beam, gymnastic apparatus, exerciser
- usage: a gymnastic apparatus used by women gymnasts
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. beam, smile
- usage: smile radiantly; express joy through one's facial expression
- 2. shine, beam
- usage: emit light; be bright, as of the sun or a light; "The sun shone bright that day"; "The fire beamed on their faces"
- 3. beam, express, show, evince
- usage: express with a beaming face or smile; "he beamed his approval"
- 4. air, send, broadcast, beam, transmit, publicize, publicise, air, bare
- usage: broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television; "We cannot air this X-rated song"
- 5. glow, beam, radiate, shine, look, appear, seem
- usage: have a complexion with a strong bright color, such as red or pink; "Her face glowed when she came out of the sauna"
- 6. glow, beam, radiate, shine, feel, experience
- usage: experience a feeling of well-being or happiness, as from good health or an intense emotion; "She was beaming with joy"; "Her face radiated with happiness"
All rights reserved.
See also: beam (Dictionary)