WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. believe, accept
- usage: accept as true; take to be true; "I believed his report"; "We didn't believe his stories from the War"; "She believes in spirits"
- 2. think, believe, consider, conceive, evaluate, pass judgment, judge
- usage: judge or regard; look upon; judge; "I think he is very smart"; "I believe her to be very smart"; "I think that he is her boyfriend"; "The racist conceives such people to be inferior"
- 3. believe, trust, expect, anticipate
- usage: be confident about something; "I believe that he will come back from the war"
- 4. believe, believe
- usage: follow a credo; have a faith; be a believer; "When you hear his sermons, you will be able to believe, too"
- 5. believe, credit
- usage: credit with veracity; "You cannot believe this man"; "Should we believe a publication like the National Enquirer?"
All rights reserved.
See also: believe (Dictionary)