- 1. bell, acoustic device, signaling device
- usage: a hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck
- 2. doorbell, bell, buzzer, push button, push, button
- usage: a push button at an outer door that gives a ringing or buzzing signal when pushed
- 3. bell, toll, sound
- usage: the sound of a bell being struck; "saved by the bell"; "she heard the distant toll of church bells"
- 4. bell, ship's bell, time unit, unit of time
- usage: (nautical) each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell; eight bells signals 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o'clock, either a.m. or p.m.
- 5. bell, bell shape, campana, curve, curved shape
- usage: the shape of a bell
- 6. Bell, Melville Bell, Alexander Melville Bell
- usage: a phonetician and father of Alexander Graham Bell (1819-1905)
- 7. Bell, Vanessa Bell, Vanessa Stephen
- usage: English painter; sister of Virginia Woolf; prominent member of the Bloomsbury Group (1879-1961)
- 8. Bell, Alexander Bell, Alexander Graham Bell
- usage: United States inventor (born in Scotland) of the telephone (1847-1922)
- 9. chime, bell, gong, percussion instrument, percussive instrument
- usage: a percussion instrument consisting of a set of tuned bells that are struck with a hammer; used as an orchestral instrument
- 10. bell, opening
- usage: the flared opening of a tubular device
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. bell, attach
- usage: attach a bell to; "bell cows"
All rights reserved.
See also: bell (Dictionary)