- 1. bow, bowing, obeisance, reverence, gesture, motion
- usage: bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting
- 2. bowing, playing
- usage: managing the bow in playing a stringed instrument; "the violinist's bowing was excellent"
- 1. bow, bow down, gesticulate, gesture, motion
- usage: bend one's knee or body, or lower one's head; "He bowed before the King"; "She bowed her head in shame"
- 2. submit, bow, defer, accede, give in, yield, give in, succumb, knuckle under, buckle under
- usage: yield to another's wish or opinion; "The government bowed to the military pressure"
- 3. bow, change posture
- usage: bend the head or the upper part of the body in a gesture of respect or greeting; "He bowed before the King"
- 4. crouch, stoop, bend, bow, bend, flex
- usage: bend one's back forward from the waist on down; "he crouched down"; "She bowed before the Queen"; "The young man stooped to pick up the girl's purse"
- 5. bow, play
- usage: play on a string instrument with a bow
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. bowed, bowing, submissive (vs. domineering)
- usage: showing an excessively deferential manner
All rights reserved.
See also: bowing (Dictionary)