WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Leo IX, Bruno, Bruno of Toul
- usage: German pope from 1049 to 1054 whose papacy was the beginning of papal reforms in the 11th century (1002-1054)
- 2. Bruno, Saint Bruno, St. Bruno
- usage: (Roman Catholic Church) a French cleric (born in Germany) who founded the Carthusian order in 1084 (1032-1101)
- 3. Bruno, Giordano Bruno
- usage: Italian philosopher who used Copernican principles to develop a pantheistic monistic philosophy; condemned for heresy by the Inquisition and burned at the stake (1548-1600)
All rights reserved.
See also: bruno (Dictionary)