- 1. buffer, compound, chemical compound
- usage: (chemistry) an ionic compound that resists changes in its pH
- 2. buffer zone, buffer, zone
- usage: a neutral zone between two rival powers that is created in order to diminish the danger of conflict
- 3. fender, buffer, cowcatcher, pilot, framework
- usage: an inclined metal frame at the front of a locomotive to clear the track
- 4. buffer, buffer storage, buffer store, memory device, storage device
- usage: (computer science) a part of RAM used for temporary storage of data that is waiting to be sent to a device; used to compensate for differences in the rate of flow of data between components of a computer system
- 5. buffer, polisher, power tool
- usage: a power tool used to buff surfaces
- 6. buffer, fender, device
- usage: a cushion-like device that reduces shock due to an impact
- 7. buff, buffer, implement
- usage: an implement consisting of soft material mounted on a block; used for polishing (as in manicuring)
- 1. buffer, modify
- usage: add a buffer (a solution); "buffered saline solution for the eyes"
- 2. cushion, buffer, soften, modify
- usage: protect from impact; "cushion the blow"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. buff, chromatic (vs. achromatic)
- usage: of the yellowish-beige color of buff leather
All rights reserved.
See also: buffer (Dictionary)