Synonyms of building
- 1. building, edifice, structure, construction
- usage: a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place; "there was a three-story building on the corner"; "it was an imposing edifice"
- 2. construction, building, creating from raw materials
- usage: the act of constructing something; "during the construction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby was the building of boats"
- 3. construction, building, commercial enterprise, business enterprise, business
- usage: the commercial activity involved in repairing old structures or constructing new ones; "their main business is home construction"; "workers in the building trades"
- 4. building, gathering, assemblage
- usage: the occupants of a building; "the entire building complained about the noise"
- 1. construct, build, make, make, create
- usage: make by combining materials and parts; "this little pig made his house out of straw"; "Some eccentric constructed an electric brassiere warmer"
- 2. build up, work up, build, progress, develop
- usage: form or accumulate steadily; "Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"; "Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border"
- 3. build, establish, make, create
- usage: build or establish something abstract; "build a reputation"
- 4. build, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: improve the cleansing action of; "build detergents"
- 5. build, oversee, supervise, superintend, manage
- usage: order, supervise, or finance the construction of; "The government is building new schools in this state"
- 6. build, develop
- usage: give form to, according to a plan; "build a modern nation"; "build a million-dollar business"
- 7. build, create
- usage: be engaged in building; "These architects build in interesting and new styles"
- 8. build, establish, base, ground, found
- usage: found or ground; "build a defense on nothing but the accused person's reputation"
- 9. build up, work up, build, ramp up, increase
- usage: bolster or strengthen; "We worked up courage"; "build up confidence"; "ramp up security in the airports"
- 10. build, intensify, deepen
- usage: develop and grow; "Suspense was building right from the beginning of the opera"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of building (Dictionary)