- 1. butterfly, lepidopterous insect, lepidopteron, lepidopteran
- usage: diurnal insect typically having a slender body with knobbed antennae and broad colorful wings
- 2. butterfly, butterfly stroke, swimming stroke
- usage: a swimming stroke in which the arms are thrown forward together out of the water while the feet kick up and down
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. butterfly, flit, flutter, fleet, dart
- usage: flutter like a butterfly
- 2. butterfly, unfold, spread, spread out, open
- usage: cut and spread open, as in preparation for cooking; "butterflied shrimp"
- 3. chat up, flirt, dally, butterfly, coquet, coquette, romance, philander, mash, talk, speak
- usage: talk or behave amorously, without serious intentions; "The guys always try to chat up the new secretaries"; "My husband never flirts with other women"
All rights reserved.
See also: butterfly (Dictionary)