- 1. Byzantine, Asian, Asiatic
- usage: a native or inhabitant of Byzantium or of the Byzantine Empire
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Byzantine
- usage: of or relating to the Eastern Orthodox Church or the rites performed in it; "Byzantine monks"; "Byzantine rites"
- 2. Byzantine
- usage: of or relating to or characteristic of the Byzantine Empire or the ancient city of Byzantium
- 3. Byzantine, convoluted, involved, knotty, tangled, tortuous, complex (vs. simple)
- usage: highly complex or intricate and occasionally devious; "the Byzantine tax structure"; "Byzantine methods for holding on to his chairmanship"; "convoluted legal language"; "convoluted reasoning"; "the plot was too involved"; "a knotty problem"; "got his way by labyrinthine maneuvering"; "Oh, what a tangled web we weave"- Sir Walter Scott; "tortuous legal procedures"; "tortuous negotiations lasting for months"
All rights reserved.
See also: byzantine (Dictionary)