WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. capacity, capability, capableness
- usage: capability to perform or produce; "among his gifts is his capacity for true altruism"; "limited runway capacity"; "a great capacity for growth"
- 2. capability, capacity, susceptibility, susceptibleness
- usage: the susceptibility of something to a particular treatment; "the capability of a metal to be fused"
- 3. capacity, content, volume
- usage: the amount that can be contained; "the gas tank has a capacity of 12 gallons"
- 4. capacity, production
- usage: the maximum production possible; "the plant is working at 80 per cent capacity"
- 5. capacity, function, office, part, role
- usage: a specified function; "he was employed in the capacity of director"; "he should be retained in his present capacity at a higher salary"
- 6. capacity, indefinite quantity
- usage: (computer science) the amount of information (in bytes) that can be stored on a disk drive; "the capacity of a hard disk drive is usually expressed in megabytes"
- 7. capacitance, electrical capacity, capacity, electrical phenomenon
- usage: an electrical phenomenon whereby an electric charge is stored
- 8. capacity, mental ability, ability, power
- usage: the power to learn or retain knowledge; in law, the ability to understand the facts and significance of your behavior
- 9. capacity, tolerance
- usage: tolerance for alcohol; "he had drunk beyond his capacity"
All rights reserved.
See also: capacity (Dictionary)