- 1. Centre
- usage: a low-lying region in central France
- 2. center, centre, middle, heart, eye, area, country
- usage: an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
- 3. center, centre, midpoint, point
- usage: a point equidistant from the ends of a line or the extremities of a figure
- 4. center, centre, place, property
- usage: a place where some particular activity is concentrated; "they received messages from several centers"
- 5. center, centre, sweet, confection
- usage: the sweet central portion of a piece of candy that is enclosed in chocolate or some other covering
- 6. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- 7. center, centre, center of attention, centre of attention, object
- usage: the object upon which interest and attention focuses; "his stories made him the center of the party"
- 8. center, centre, nerve center, nerve centre, neural structure
- usage: a cluster of nerve cells governing a specific bodily process; "in most people the speech center is in the left hemisphere"
- 9. center, centre, building, edifice
- usage: a building dedicated to a particular activity; "they were raising money to build a new center for research"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. center, centre, move, displace
- usage: move into the center; "That vase in the picture is not centered"
- 2. concentrate, focus, center, centre, pore, rivet, think, cogitate, cerebrate
- usage: direct one's attention on something; "Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies"
All rights reserved.
See also: centre (Dictionary)