- 1. fictional character, fictitious character, character, imaginary being, imaginary creature
- usage: an imaginary person represented in a work of fiction (play or film or story); "she is the main character in the novel"
- 2. quality, character, lineament, property, attribute, dimension
- usage: a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something; "each town has a quality all its own"; "the radical character of our demands"
- 3. character, fiber, fibre, trait
- usage: the inherent complex of attributes that determines a persons moral and ethical actions and reactions; "education has for its object the formation of character"- Herbert Spencer
- 4. character, role, theatrical role, part, persona, portrayal, characterization, enactment, personation
- usage: an actor's portrayal of someone in a play; "she played the part of Desdemona"
- 5. character, eccentric, type, case, adult, grownup
- usage: a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities); "a real character"; "a strange character"; "a friendly eccentric"; "the capable type"; "a mental case"
- 6. character, repute, reputation
- usage: good repute; "he is a man of character"
- 7. character, reference, character reference, recommendation, testimonial, good word
- usage: a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability; "requests for character references are all too often answered evasively"
- 8. character, grapheme, graphic symbol, written symbol, printed symbol
- usage: a written symbol that is used to represent speech; "the Greek alphabet has 24 characters"
- 9. character, attribute
- usage: (genetics) an attribute (structural or functional) that is determined by a gene or group of genes
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. character, scratch, engrave, grave, inscribe
- usage: engrave or inscribe characters on
All rights reserved.
See also: character (Dictionary)