WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. besiege, beleaguer, surround, hem in, circumvent, attack, assail
- usage: surround so as to force to give up; "The Turks besieged Vienna"
- 2. outwit, overreach, outsmart, outfox, beat, circumvent, surpass, outstrip, outmatch, outgo, exceed, outdo, surmount, outperform
- usage: beat through cleverness and wit; "I beat the traffic"; "She outfoxed her competitors"
- 3. hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep, avoid
- usage: avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"
All rights reserved.
See also: circumvent (Dictionary)