- 1. educate, school, train, cultivate, civilize, civilise, polish, refine, fine-tune, down
- usage: teach or refine to be discriminative in taste or judgment; "Cultivate your musical taste"; "Train your tastebuds"; "She is well schooled in poetry"
- 2. civilize, civilise, change, alter, modify
- usage: raise from a barbaric to a civilized state; "The wild child found wandering in the forest was gradually civilized"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. civilized (vs. noncivilized), civilised, advanced, civil, humane, educated, refined
- usage: having a high state of culture and development both social and technological; "terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world"
- 2. civilized, civilised, cultivated, cultured, genteel, polite, refined (vs. unrefined)
- usage: marked by refinement in taste and manners; "cultivated speech"; "cultured Bostonians"; "cultured tastes"; "a genteel old lady"; "polite society"
All rights reserved.
See also: civilized (Dictionary)