WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. colony, settlement, body
- usage: a body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government; "the American colony in Paris"
- 2. colony, biological group
- usage: a group of organisms of the same type living or growing together
- 3. Colony, geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
- usage: one of the 13 British colonies that formed the original states of the United States
- 4. colony, place, property
- usage: a place where a group of people with the same interest or occupation are concentrated; "a nudist colony"; "an artists' colony"
- 5. colony, dependency, geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
- usage: a geographical area politically controlled by a distant country
- 6. colony, animal group
- usage: (microbiology) a group of organisms grown from a single parent cell
All rights reserved.
See also: colony (Dictionary)