Synonyms of color
- 1. color, colour, coloring, colouring, visual property
- usage: a visual attribute of things that results from the light they emit or transmit or reflect; "a white color is made up of many different wavelengths of light"
- 2. color, colour, vividness, interest, interestingness
- usage: interest and variety and intensity; "the Puritan Period was lacking in color"; "the characters were delineated with exceptional vividness"
- 3. color, colour, coloration, colouration, timbre, timber, quality, tone
- usage: the timbre of a musical sound; "the recording fails to capture the true color of the original music"
- 4. color, colour, people of color, people of colour, race
- usage: a race with skin pigmentation different from the white race (especially Blacks)
- 5. semblance, gloss, color, colour, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: an outward or token appearance or form that is deliberately misleading; "he hoped his claims would have a semblance of authenticity"; "he tried to give his falsehood the gloss of moral sanction"; "the situation soon took on a different color"
- 6. coloring material, colouring material, color, colour, material, stuff
- usage: any material used for its color; "she used a different color for the trim"
- 7. color, colour, kind, sort, form, variety
- usage: (physics) the characteristic of quarks that determines their role in the strong interaction; "each flavor of quarks comes in three colors"
- 8. color, colour, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: the appearance of objects (or light sources) described in terms of a person's perception of their hue and lightness (or brightness) and saturation
- 1. color, colorize, colorise, colourise, colourize, colour, color in, colour in, change, alter, modify
- usage: add color to; "The child colored the drawings"; "Fall colored the trees"; "colorize black and white film"
- 2. tinge, color, colour, distort, affect, impact, bear upon, bear on, touch on, touch
- usage: affect as in thought or feeling; "My personal feelings color my judgment in this case"; "The sadness tinged his life"
- 3. color, colour, influence, act upon, work
- usage: modify or bias; "His political ideas color his lectures"
- 4. color, colour, emblazon, decorate, adorn, grace, ornament, embellish, beautify
- usage: decorate with colors; "color the walls with paint in warm tones"
- 5. color, colour, gloss, apologize, apologise, excuse, justify, rationalize, rationalise
- usage: give a deceptive explanation or excuse for; "color a lie"
- 6. discolor, discolour, colour, color, change
- usage: change color, often in an undesired manner; "The shirts discolored"
- 1. color (vs. black-and-white), colour
- usage: having or capable of producing colors; "color film"; "he rented a color television"; "marvelous color illustrations"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of color (Dictionary)